Friday, May 15, 2009

Snail races--the new spectator sport


Rain, rain and more rain...I'm having flashbacks from my childhood in Washington state. Everything here is incredibly green, but the rain has been pretty constant for the last few weeks, with intermittent sunshine. So what do boys do when they're bored inside, but everything is soaking outside? They invent games, like "Snail racing" This is how it works: When it rains, all the snails come out of hiding and the boys walk around the yard, looking for the prime competitors. the put the snails in a row, and they're off--I think they're off, no, maybe they're sleeping right now. For added fun they like to put obstacles in the way, like sticks or rocks. To cheat, they put a wet sponge out and the snails seem to triple their speed across the wet surface (which is still incredibly slow!)

In the winner's bracket Jacob's "Old Timer" tied with Mason's "Garrett". Sam's "Shift" won the obstacle course. Sadly, Joe's "Darth Vader" had an off day. After the boys finished racing the snails the first day, they took a black Sharpie marker outside and wrote their initials on the shells so that they could find them in the next rain. They've continued to do snail races nearly every rain. If that gets boring, what else could they do? Invent a new game, we like to call it "Snail stacking" How many snails can you stack before your pile falls over?


P.S. can you believe that I could figure out how to change the backgrounds? What's next, using the Ipod that Garrett bought me 2 years ago? It's a technological miracle! Thanks Angie!



11 comments:

Denise said...

I love the snail races, what creative boys you have. So much fun for them, I love that they turn a rainy day into a great day.

Kerri said...

Sounds like a blast! I can't wait to see what other creative games they come up with! You have to love the sweetness of a childs mind!

Fletch said...

Holy crap, those are huge snails! I can't believe the French like to eat those nasties...gross!

I love your background. Way to go! By the way, Tiffany went to New York and saw "Wicked" (and a bunch of other shows). She LOVED it! No fair, huh?

Sasha said...

how fun! I'm sure Maleah would have been all in if she were to hear about it! She keeps trying to bring snails (aka "My BEST friend, mommy!) in the house... ewww! :) Have a great, if somewhat soggy, weekend!

thecherries said...

I nearly fell out of my chair for three reasons. Numero uno..er..einz, you updated. Numero swvei, you changed your background. And numero drei, you've had an Ipod for two years and still don't know how to use it? Heather, I simply love you more and more every day!

*disclaimer* My German is from the 8th grade...just sound the words out phonetically.

angie said...

Those are some sweet snails! I love your boys...they are full of fun and adventure! You did it!! I love the background. Thank you again for having German and Swiss adventures with us! It was so nice to get to talk with you again!
Love ya!

Shanna said...

Those are REALLY big snails! I just got your card and the stupendous banana pictures from the boys (thank you, thank you, thank you) and I was picturing teeny tiny little snails. Boy was I wrong. Hopefully when I come there won't be snails out and about (whenever that is).

literaqueen said...

So here's where I admit publicly that when I was a child, I had snail races, too. Those are big snails, but the ones I raced in California were big just like that. Ah, memories . . .

Kristine said...

When your kids get tired of snail racing.. come on over.. we have a million slugs that I heard are pretty fast too! We have been enjoying the snails in our yard also.. rain, rain, go away! Are you ready for our boys next week? We need to talk soon!

Rebbekah said...

what a great way to relieve bordom! i think i will have to try this at my house. do you think it will look weird if i'm out there by myself?

Paul said...

Your kids crack me up Heather. I've been getting harassed by Andrea and Debbie to leave a comment (even though I am a faithful follower of your blog, I hardly ever leave comments). It reminds me of when I was younger and my siblings would catch box turtles and we would have turtle races. Stacking box turtles would be an exercise in futility, so we never tried that one.