Sunday, March 22, 2009

Happy Birthday Sam and Jacob




I can hardly believe that Sam and Jacob are ten years old. Last night I kept thinking about ten years ago--discovering I was pregnant with twin boys, having the boys 2 months early and their month in the NICU. Bringing the boys home and not sleeping for a good year. Going in to get them in the morning to see that one or the other had rolled over to the other side of the crib and was laying his head on his brother's chest. Hearing them babble to eachother. Having the fire department, police and all our neighbors out looking for them when they decided to play hide and seek one day. The end of naps when they both worked together to push their chest of drawers over during nap time. Waking up to find the boys had managed to climb up on the kitchen counter and reach the bag of 1500 dum dums on top of the fridge and had systematically taken the wrapper off each one and given each a single lick before moving on. Taking Sam to the emergency room for a bump on the head and the twins being separated for a few hours, then the boys running to eachother, arms outstretched down the hall "Sajjy!" "Jatob!" for a big hug. The boys getting on the bus to go to their preschool because they did so much twin talk and couldn't stand being apart. Sam and Jacob starting kindergarten and Jacob tapping on his classroom wall, sure that Sam could hear him in the classroom next door. The boys taking Tae Kwon Do and Sam helping Jacob at home to learn all the moves. Listening to the boys in their room talking late at night as they lay in their bunk beds. Spending hours jumping together off the roof of the shed to the trampoline and back again. Working on a tree house using our neighbor's sapling, much to his dismay. The boys getting baptized and putting their arms around eachother. Creating havoc at scouts together while mom was the den leader. Braving a new school in a foreign country together. Helping eachother with German homework.
Sam and Jacob are very different. From the time they were born we could easily tell them apart and we've had our fair share of brother fights, but for some reason they were meant to come together--maybe they needed eachother to handle me as a mom, but we feel so blessed to have them in our family. Sam's cute laugh that comes rumbling out in a "Huh" and Jacob's grin ear to ear. Sam literally climbing the walls and Jacob's boats constructed of paper and straws and a roll of tape. Hours of lego creations. Thousands of hugs. We love you guys!

The beatings can now begin!

Jacob requested a strawberry cake with vanilla frosting. Sam requested chocolate lasagna (that would be my choice too). Both of them wanted army men on their cakes--atleast that was the same!








About a week ago I told Sam he could choose the dinner for his and Jacob's b-days--he chose spaghetti and meatballs. I told Jacob he could choose their breakfast--he said he'd make me a list. This is what he had on his list:
Pancakes, butter, syrup, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, hot chocolate, boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, ice cold pineapple, wild cherry Coke, and bacon. Well, we indulged the child and he got everything except raspberries, which I couldn't find in the stores.
One of my friends from my German language class is Chinese. She brought me a Chinese birthday candle. It starts out all closed up and then when you light the first candle, it lights the rest of the candles and opens up the flower. The heat sets the flower spinning and plays "Happy Birthday" over and over and the grand finale is a fireworks display coming out of the middle of the flower. It made trick candles look amazingly dull. Thank you to our Grandmas who sent us so many wonderful birthday presents!

21 comments:

Kerri said...

wow... the big 10. What an amazing mom you are. How lucky they are to have you...I'm going to send my "list" that is awesome!

Fletch said...

Happy Birthday guys! I bet they are taller than me now. Laura is sad she missed out on the strawberry cake and the chocolate lasagna. Kudos to you, Heather, for carrying out that awesome breakfast request! Looks like it was a fabulous day.

Denise said...

Happy Birthday Sam and Jacob-you have been blessed with great parents. Heather-where can I find one of those cool candles-I would love to just light one and not a ton. You are a great mom-I love his birthday breakfast request-that is the best.

angie said...

I remember going to the NICU to see them. I also remember how layed back Garette was when he finally told Steve the twins had been born...after being with him for awhile before he mentioned it. I can't believe that was ten years ago. Happy Birthday!!!

Lonna said...

Heather, you can't be the mother of 10 year olds! That's crazy. Wow that makes your Mom and Dad way old!!! :)

Kristine said...

Happy Birthday Sam & Jacob! You did a great job making their day so special! It looks like everyone had a good time!

Elise and Trevor said...

Wow! I can't believe they are that big. I remember playing with them at Grandma Bohman's house when they had first learned to walk. Cute boys. We are going in another direction. We just learned we are having our 4th girl. Hopefully one day we will know what it is like to have a boy!

Rebbekah said...

Happy birthday! I didn't know they had the same b-day as Adam! They look so old now!

literaqueen said...

Your boys each get their own birthday cake? Man, I feel cheated now. My twin and I always had to share!

thecherries said...

TEN! Happy Birthday boys! With you being this old, your mom and dad are bound to brittle and slow. Take it easy on them...you still need them for college tuition.

*smirk*

WE LOVE YOU!!

Shanna said...

They LOOK so old! I hope they had a great birthday. I did wish the German "Matrix" company Happy Birthday on their answering machine. (Which I'm sure they didn't appreciate)

kati said...

happy birthday....really late! Looks like you all had a blast! 10was pretty sentimental for me with Kayley.....wierd to think our kids are in doubel digits huh?

shay said...

What an awesome birthday! I can't believe they're 10!! That must mean you had them when you were 17 cuz you don't look old enough to have 10 year olds!!!

Melissa: said...

Happy Birthday!!! Amazing how time goes by, just like that! I was tearing up as you described the magic of having twins. It's so much fun to watch.

I'll never forget visiting you guys at your apartment in Logan, when the twins were newborns. I was amazed -You are one awesome mom!

kendra said...

You are such a good mom!! I love it! Leprechauns never come to my house. And two cakes, spaghetti and meatballs, and an awesome breakfast!! Really, it's no wonder you have all boys - you are perfect for them! I need to take lessons!

so they took germany off our list but we'll find out on April 10 where we're going - England was our 5th choice!

Sasha said...

YAY! Happy birthday guys (though a tad late!) I just wanted to send big hellos to your great family. I know Jewel and Andreas must have had an amazing time with you guys. The St. Patty's day thing, GENIUS!!! Hope all is well :)

karen said...

a decade. wow. Jackson is right on their heels. We will greatly miss the boyz at Jackson's birthday party this year--they all had so much fun at jackson's 8th in Iowa outside in the tent. Talk about a bunch of wild boys that day! miss you guys and love your leprechaun antics! the footprints are magnifico.

angie said...

Hey, Heather. I went private on my blog, but I don't know your email address to allow you on. My address is angie@digitalscoop.com email me your address, if you want to get on our blog. Can't wait to see your family in a couple of weeks!!!!

Adam said...

Happy Belated Birthday Sam and Jacob! We love you and miss you. Noah and Isaac and Lucy and James say they wish they could have been with you at your birthday party because those cakes look AWESOME! Noah says he is building a school bus pinewood derby car in memory of Jacob's car last year (or was it two years ago?). If you can't tell, we miss you guys a lot...

Katie T. said...

Happy Birthday Sam & Jacob! Okay, we are a little late, but we still mean it! We miss you guys tons!

Joshua said...

Um...hello?!!! What the...how the...what are you guys doing in Germany? My sister ran into your blog through Garrett's sister or something, but anyway, she told me where to find you guys. We really need to catch up!! Some of my best friends are in Germany...love it over there, although all the time I spent there was in the less than lovely Dusseldorf as well as Koln, but still I loved it. I'm totally jealous. Since we moved back to the states from Ireland, we have been dieing to go back. We live in Denver now.
So, like when did Garrett join the Army? There is so much we need to catch up on. Seriously miss you guys!
-Josh joshua.yates1@gmail.com