Thursday, March 19, 2009

Leprechaun Madness




On St. Patrick's Night Eve I considered feigning ignorance about the whole day since Germans don't celebrate it, but my motherly guilt took over and I did our traditional "Leprechauns Gone Wild" stuff. St. Patrick's day morning my kids always wake up to see green foot prints somewhere in the house. This year, not only did the Leprechaun pee in our toilet and forget to flush, he took a bath in the sink. He also turned the milk, muffins and eggs green. We had the added bonus of Jewel and Andreas Weigand sharing in the fun. We get to have them with us for 11 days, and my kids are loving it.




















Every year we put a trap out in the hopes of catching the Leprechaun. The trap consists of a box propped up on one side with a stick and decorated with pictures to entice the Leprechaun inside. We haven't caught one yet, but each year, he leaves us some gold coin chocolates. The pictures changed a little this year--in years past the kids have drawn pictures much like Joe's this year--a leprechaun friend, pot of gold and rainbow. Their salesmanship techniques have really improved--this year Mason drew a girl leprechaun to entice her male counterpart, Sam added a sign to his pot of gold that reads "frei (free auf Deutsh) gold" and Jacob lost the battle with mom--he wanted to do a leprechaun lady in a bikini, so he settled for the same old tricks as before. Again the Leprechaun foiled our get rich quick scheme, but left us some chocolate Euros!

9 comments:

Denise said...

what a fun idea. what do you do the footprints with? my kids would love that. i'll have to remember that for next year. you are such a fun mom.

likeschocolate said...

Really cute ideas!!!!

Fletch said...

You are the best mom ever! I love the footprints.

And I speak for the rest of us when I say it's a shame you put a stop to Jacob's bikini-clad leprechaun. As a blog-reader, I feel cheated.

angie said...

Great ideas! I stink when it comes to St. Patrick's Day. No fun in the Hammond house :(

I do wear green. :)

Heidi said...

I agree with all the other comments -- what fun! And I also want to know what you use for the footprints!

Kristine said...

Now I don't feel so bad about the Georges watching our kids for 10 days.. I guess that is the thing to do :)

Shanna said...

What a fun mom you are. I love those little footprints!

literaqueen said...

Way to sneak in a modesty and respect for womanhood lesson in with a holiday!

shay said...

You are such an awesome mom! If only I could be like you! You're so creative!!!