Sunday, March 8, 2009

Waiting out the Winter

The weather here has been miserable--nothing to compare with the cold of Iowa, but cold and slushy snow and the last time I saw the sun shine was last Thursday. Every time it starts snowing again we all groan--when is Spring coming? Friday was another yucky day. I took the boys and 2 of their friends, Andreas and Cristofer to a huge Home decor store that has the hugest "McDonalds Playland" in it upstairs that you can drop your kids off in and go shopping without them and the cost?--It's free! This concept wouldn't work in Utah for obvious reasons--too many kids and we're all too cheap to buy anything, but here with an average of 1.3 children per couple, I'm the exception to the rule. So, I got the perks of doing my "turn" of having friends over and they all played at the playland while I looked around and then found a comfortable chair and got my book out and read. Next confession: I'm reading a book entitled "Faberge's Eggs". It's about the Romanovs, Russia's last czars. You could call it my "Princess Di" obsession. I don't know why but I am fascinated by the Romanovs and Rasputin and that whole thing. I was telling Garrett about how Rasputin was poisoned, shot, beaten and finally drowned to kill him and Garrett's reply was classic if you've seen Disney's Anastasia--he asked "But what about the bat, did he get killed too?" Second confession: I bought a package of Cadbury Creme eggs from the army base and ate them all by myself while I read. I've always loved Cadbury Creme eggs, but I have to admit, I was so disappointed when I bit into it and there was no toy surprise in the middle. We are huge Kinder Eier fans. Kinder Eier are chocolate eggs with a toy surprise in the middle (the cheap man's version of Faberge eggs, I guess). We've bought little shadow boxes for each of the boys' rooms that they put their kinder eier toys in. The eggs are kind of pricey, so they only get them for special occasions. Still I have to admit that I get as excited as they do for the cheap plastic toys they have inside.

I've been pretty worn out lately and my patience level is dangerously low. I'm taking a German class every weekday from 8:30 to 11:45 and I really love it--I'm learning so much, but it leaves absolutely no personal time which I've realized I'd gotten very accustomed to. My class has 1 Syrian, 2 Italians, 3 Turks, 1 Tunesian, 1 Spaniard, 1 Peruvian, 1 Romanian, 1 Pollock, 2 Phillipians (that's a book in the Bible--I must have spelled that wrong!), 2 Chinese and 1 Hawaiian. The only language that 1/3 of the class has in common is broken English. It's fascinating that so many people around the world speak English. I finish class and hurry to pick up the kids from school. Mondays we do piano lessons. The first question people ask is "Is Garrett teaching them?" When I tell them that I'm teaching them they always respond that they didn't even know that I played, which is about right. I'm really not that good at piano, but for now they haven't passed me up, so I'll do it, since a good price for a piano lesson is $25 here--I get sick to my stomach every time I think about $75 a week for Sam, Jacob and Mason which would be $300 a month. My sister-in-law, Jennifer teaches piano in Utah and I'm betting it's not that lucrative there. I only wish I was good enough to teach other kids and make some money! Jen Fletcher taught my kids piano in Iowa and now that I know the going rate I think we royally ripped her off. Sorry Jen! A big thanks to Dan and Julie who got us the clavinova as a wedding present--the best features are the volume control and the headphone jack--wonderful inventions for frazzled mom nerves. All the boys are doing really well and loving it. We go pretty slow, but they don't hate it yet and that's huge.


On Friday we got a package from my mom--yeah! I've just gotten into quilting and my mom sent fabric and a quilt magazine. So exciting! Fabric here is about $10-30 a meter. Yuck! Everytime I start cutting fabric for a quilt I think about what my mother-in-law Julie said a few years ago while she was making a quilt for my sister-in-law Shanna: "It's funny that we take a perfectly good piece of fabric and cut it up in alot of pieces to sew it back together again." Too true.
The next guilty pleasure--listening to "Wicked". I've listened to it so many times that Jacob said this morning "Don't play that again mom. The songs just keep going around and around in my head!" The rest of us still like it. Garrett's favorite song is "Defying Gravity", Sam's favorite song is "Popular". I have too many favorites--definitely worth getting the soundtrack. I've already decided that whatever money I get for my b-day (yes, it's not until August!) is going towards seeing it here in Germany with Garrett. I'll have to work a little harder in my German class!
My final accomplishment lately is learning how to put pictures from the internet on my blog. Those of you who know me well know that I have a Technology Disorder. Just last year my friend Shayla taught me how to e-mail more than one person at the same time and how to "reply all" instead of just "reply". These were huge steps for me and I feel I can rest at ease knowing I have made my technological improvement for this year with these pix on my blog, pardon my smugness, but I'm a genius.
Hopefully this winter will end soon. The very first bulbs bloomed in my neighbor's yard and my sweet boys picked them for me. Do you think he'll notice?

12 comments:

angie said...

Oh, Heather...we are kindred spirits. I love Wicked! I read the book, which I did not like so much. I don't know if you read it or not, but Steve says it is a lot different from the play. He saw the play one of the times he was in London. I am so excited that on April 15th, we get to go to it here in Salt Lake. My brother was able to get us tickets for $50.00. Our seats are not together, and they are probably up high, but I will take it! My kids also love the German chocolate eggs! I just love german chocolate period. So, we may be seeing you next month. I hope it all works out! Have a great week :)

Fletch said...

Wow! I am so proud of you for taking that German class! You are awesome.

Noelle is actually obsessed with both the Anastasia soundtrack (I laughed at Garrett's bat comment) and the Wicked soundtrack! We listen to both all the time here. I wish you still lived here and we could make a spring break run to Chicago and see Wicked together.

By the way, since you probably play the piano better than me, I feel like I was the one who ripped YOU off...you shouldn't have paid me anything. It was fun to teach them and they were such diligent little students. Be sure to tell Sam, Jacob, Mason and Joe "Hi" from all of my kiddies. They miss them.

Denise said...

You're doing tons better than me in getting pictures from the internet onto my blog. I can get pics I take, I just haven't figured out the whole internet thing. The few songs from wicked I've heard I really like. I really like "Popular" and "For Good". I love the message in "For Good". I've been hooked on the High School Musical 3 soundtrack-crazy I know-but the songs are really fun to sing and dance to. Even my 3 year old loves it. Hopefully Spring comes quickly for you-it seems we get a taste of it and then it dumps snow on us again. Good luck with the German class-didn't we take it together in High School from Dyer? I'm thinking we were in the same class-I really can't remember. Take care.

likeschocolate said...

Hi! You do not know me and I can't even remember how I found your blog. Anyway, I think you are doing great. You have lasted much longer than I ever would have. My husband is German and we spent last summer in Switzerland while he worked, and by the end of the 4 months I was so ready to go home. I think it is great that you are taking German classes. Knowing some German really opens the hearts of the people to you because it makes them feel you care enough to get to know them better. I wish I could promise you better weather around the corner, but I remember some springs that were really cold. As you know though summers are great though. Good for you for finding that McDonalds. I would have done the same thing. Hang in there because any mom of 4 boys deserves to be a little frazzeled at times. I have one less and I find myself frazzeled 1/2 the time. How long are you over in Germany with the military?

literaqueen said...

Good for you for making Heather time! You need it!

My favorite song from Wicked is Loathing-- Defying Gravity's a close second, though.

Andrea G. said...

yay! I love reading your adventures... you can survive any long winter--you grew up in Utah, besides, you're a creative genius!

I love that you fessed up to eating all the Cadbury Creme Eggs... I was ecstatic when they put the Easter candy out (best candy of the year!!) and ate a whole bag of Robin Eggs by myself today:)

Way to go teaching the boys piano. Headphones are definitely a plus! ha,ha. I guess it's sort of like being a college professor that just reads a chapter ahead of the students--so long as they haven't passed you up, GO for IT!

I'm impressed and a little jealous that you're learning German-- beyond the lame high school courses. I wish I spoke a second language. Love you!! Send pictures of the next quilt you work on!

Um... congratulations on your technology breakthrough! ha,ha--we're laughing our heads off! Oh! And Paul says he believes the name you were looking for is Phillipinos! ;)

kendra said...

Oh Heather! The stuff moms go through! Seriously, patience does not come easy to me, either. It would be so out of my comfort zone to go there. We may still end up in Germany though - we have a 1 in 46 chance.

Anyway, it sounds like you're learning German quickly. That would be so AWESOME to see Wicked with Garrett. Wow - CULTURE!!!

Katie T. said...

We went to Ikea a couple weekends ago and they have a drop-off place for you kids. You can only leave them an hour, but it made getting Lorili's bday desk easy. Wish more stores offerd that! I'm sure I would spend more money! miss ya!

Rebbekah said...

funny thing-Rachel has been learning about Rasputin in school recently. weird. also I stinkin love any kinder candy! i especially enjoy kinder buenos. bring home lots of candy when you visit. food is always the most important gift....always! I snuck baguettes and chocolate filled pastries home from france for my grandma one time! when do you ever get almost fresh french pastries delivered to your door? that's why i am loved.

shay said...

The first thing I noticed about the entry was that you had added internet pics! So impressed!!! The Romanovs fascinate me too! Let me know how the book is. We all love "Wicked" too! My mom had it when she helped us move from Iowa last summer and I listened to it for about 2 days straight! Luckily Spencer was driving the moving van and didn't have to listen, but the girls really loved it! I would love to see it! Why didn't we go when we were so close in Chicago? Good luck in the German class, you are amazing!

Melissa: said...

You ARe a genius! I am amazed at all you are doing. The book sounds very interesting. We love Kinder Eir eggs! (or however they are spelled). Thanks to a European store in town (and Sam) our kids usually get them on special occasions, too. I love the shadow box idea.

Learn Chinese language on hanbridgemandarin said...



Hanbridge has adopted a structured and interactive educational approach to enable you to learn Mandarin effectively and reach your targeted proficiency level. Clear pronunciation, the proper use of tones, real-life topics, and bilingual instruction all combine to ensure you will be able to communicate effectively.



More Chinese learning tags : how to learn Chinese | learn to speak Chinese | mandarin Chinese