Friday, March 20, 2009

Moving up in the World?

So, this is what our driveway has looked like for the past 6 months--2 minivans in the driveway. Our van got to Germany about 2 months after we did. In the meantime, we bought a used van to get us all around. I know our German neighbors must think we're whacked in the head to drive two minivans with the price of gas here--and we wholeheartedly agree with them. Since the arrival of our second van, Garrett's been scrupulously checking the German ads for a good deal on a car. Finally, Garrett found a ten year old stationwagon that he bought from a Bosnian. Some Bosnians had to do some extra work on it under the table to pass inspection, but today Garrett got it registered. When I think of an old stationwagon I think of this:

Hip, hip, hooray for the better gas mileage to come!


My dream car is a white Jeep Wagoneer with wood panneling.
So, anyone interested in buying a minivan in Germany?

9 comments:

Denise said...

we also have two minivans in our garage. my husbands work provides him one and we bought one-because it comfortably seats six. the bad thing is this last van we got from work is a silver van-the summer before we got the silver van we also bought a silver van. so we have 2 silver vans in our garage that are almost identical-only difference-one is a dodge and one is a town and country. at times i feel like a polagamyst with our two silver vans to haul around "all" our kids. sometimes i wonder what the neighbors think-oh well-i guess we'll just keep them guessing.

Fletch said...

You see? You are still an Iowan at heart. You belong here with us in the land of minivans. No one here would bat an eye at two in a driveway.

I do like the wood-paneling though...

angie said...

Sweet ride!! I love your dream car as well. Hope to see you next month. :)

Miss ~E said...

Heather, you are such a good writer! I love the picture of that station wagon. I have always had a fetish for station wagons, when I was a kid all my friends had one. So when I see one now I want it! Hope all is well out there :)

Kristine said...

Soooo where is the pics of the new car? Can't wait to see what you guys finally chose! I told you.. you need to just rent it out.. you'll make a killing :) We will pay for it for end of June - beginning of July...

Rebbekah said...

Oh my mom drove nothing but jeep wagoneers back in the day! i thought they were fun then but would never drive one now knowing how incredibly unreliable they are. with all the vehicles you could have 12 boys!!

Andrea G. said...

Nice! ;) I can't wait to see the actual set of wheels!

literaqueen said...

So do I need to call you Mike and Carol Brady now? Hey, you never got back to me on your address! I still need to send your Christmas letter!

shay said...

I love it!!!