Thursday, May 28, 2009

Memorial Day Camping...in Provence, France!







We wouldn't be real Americans if we didn't go camping for Memorial Day Weekend, even if we did drive to France to do it! This was our first trip to France and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. For years I've heard about the rude French and how they hate Americans, but the people were kind and the the landscape reminded me alot of Utah--a perfect combination. Our time at the campground proved once again that boys are content with rocks and sticks. Joe and Mason played with wooden "light sabers" and Sam and Jacob played a game of baseball. Everywhere we looked we saw beautiful bridges and aquaducts, like the one Garrett and the boys are standing in front of. We went swimming at a lake, hiked and swam in waterfalls, swam at the campground pool and played fussball with a new French friend.














We were a little disappointed to find that the famous fields of lavendar hadn't bloomed yet, but the red poppies were absolutely gorgeous. It reminded us of a more well kept Italy--quite the Mediterranean feel. We read that the French spend more of their income on food than anything else and I can't say we blame them, after trying some delicious French pastries. Each of us thought our own pastry was the best (Of course,mine actually was the best!).



































What Wood family trip would be complete without a short trip to Switzerland on the way home? In Switzerland we did some hiking and enjoyed the fairy tale scenery. Garrett is wondering how he can get a permanent job in Switzerland. It's definitely our favorite place to be in Europe.








12 comments:

Sasha said...

I am so glad you guys had such a wonderful time! :) I didn't get to see enough of France when we were there, but we found that French people we not as bad as everyone makes them out to be. Great pictures!! What fun!

angie said...

I am so jelous! What a great Memorial weekend adventure. Oh how I wish we could come see you again soon!! How was Wicked? I was excited for you!

thecherries said...

Seriously, are you guys for real?

Paul said...

I could give you guys a list of pastries to try next time you're in France. Although I must say that the foods I miss the most are from Belgium. At any rate, your story makes me extremely jealous.

Miss ~E said...

Just looking at the pictures give me chills! Your boys are all so handsome! We miss you guys. i think Wes and I better come over for a vacation!!

kati said...

How amazing we will have to check out provence! I agree now having been to Switzerland I agree it is my favorite thus far!!!

Fletch said...

Switzerland! Don't you dare stay in Switzerland! You're going to come back to Iowa someday and buy the house next to ours. That's the plan. You gotta stick to it.

Have you been to Paris yet? Or Brittany? Or the Riviera? If not, I expect future posts to feature these places. I still can't believe you LIVE in Europe. It's just crazy!

kendra said...

Wow! It looks so pretty there. I loved France too. I've only been to London and Paris (and Varsielle) but France was much prettier than England, I thought (maybe because I was only in London.)

I am really impressed with your boys. They really seem to have great imaginations. I wish my kids would make up games and be happy with just sticks and rocks. My boys want wii, movies, and legos. How can I get them to do fun stuff like your do?

likeschocolate said...

So Jealous! I have always wanted to go there, but my German husband does not like France so much.

literaqueen said...

Oh, Provence-- where I wish I owned a vacation cottage. You are so, so LUCKY you got to camp there! And you ate French pastries. I've gotta save up my pennies and come visit you.

TracieCarter said...

Hurray! I am so glad to hear there's good camping! And all this about Switzerland . . . I'll definitely have to get that trip planned! Just wanted to say "hi" officially as a visitor to your blog. I'm intrigued by your fave reads because I think we should chat so I can pick your brain! I wish our paths crossed more often!

Shanna said...

I love seeing all your great pictures, but it also breaks my heart to see the boys growing up so fast. Could you tell them to knock it off? Thanks.