Saturday, July 26, 2008

Öschinensee--Home of the 4 Billy Goats Gruff



Last Saturday, the 21st of July we took another trip to Switzerland (it's as if Garrett likes it or something!) and visited this Hidden Lake. Garrett, Sam, Jacob and Mason said it was a really hard climb uphill. Joe and I wouldn't really know because we road a ski-lift type thing there and met them at the top! That's the only way to go. There must have been music in the air because Joe and I sang the Darth Vader song all the way to the top on the lift and when Garr and the other boys got there, much to Garrett's displeasure, I graced them with a performance of "The Sound of Music", "Climb Every Mountain" and "Edelweiss"--complete with the Julie Andrews twirling technique as seen in the Sound of Music, one of my faves. I must admit I'm a closet fan, but have decided to show my true colors. If you had been there you might have sung too in the breathtaking Alps with Swiss cow bells chiming near sunset. We have started a tradition to eat kleine gummi bärchen (gummy bears) and doppel keks (really big vanilla cookies with chocolate cream filling, kind of like the opposite of oreos) when we get to the top of a mountain. Those of you who know me well, know that it's no sacrifice to give up my gummy bears to Garr and the kids, but Joe likes me to bite off the heads and switch them with other bears' heads so they have a different colored head than body, which truly is motherly love if you understand my aversion to all things gummy, except. of course, gum. We did get the chance to all hike down the hill which was nearly suicidal, it was so steep. Any ice at all and you'd be a goner, hiking down those mountains. Lucky for me, I had me billy goats gruff to keep me on the trail. I think Garr needs a new set of knees.

4 comments:

Fletch said...

I can just picture it all...

You swapping gummy bear heads, belting out "The hills are alive," while Garret's knees give out. You've officially christened those hills with your "Wood-isms." I am laughing my head off right now at the thought.

Andrea G. said...

Keep singing, Heather! It's good for thier manliness! I think you need to take a picture of the fam in liederhausen (sp?) made from curtains on the next adventure!

I love the switched heads on the gummy bears... if that's not love, what is?

literaqueen said...

I sing "The Lonely Goatherd" song from Sound of Music every time I mow my lawn. I think I'm going to need new knees by the time I leave West Virginia-- or new rotator cuffs.

You're going to end up being a mountaineer guide, I just know it. I think there are more than 4 billy goats gruff in your family . . .

Adam said...

I would like to ask you to remember where Joe's passion for gummy bears (with or without appropriate colored heads) originated...something about a little boy and a simple pray - "thank you for gummy bears..."