Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Happy 4th of July






For the 4th of July weekend we went down to Switzerland and it was gorgeous. Even more fairy-tale picture book towns than in Germany. We stayed off the autobahn (we didn't have a pass for the Swiss autobahn and it costs extra to drive on Austria and Switzerland's highways) and just drove through the small towns on backroads and I"m telling you that's the way to go. If you notice that some of my pictures have just randomly increased in their artistic composition, I have to tell you that I've stolen the ones that actually look nice from my better half and the other kindergarten-looking ones are mine. I remember getting my film developed last time and going through the pictures thinking "Did I let the kids use my camera?" Imagine my surprise when I realized all the pictures with people's heads cut off were my fault! I can't remember the names of the places--I'll ask Garr and amend this blog later. The pix with Garrett and the boys is on a ferry boat across a lake. It was really beautiful. We got to see some of the apartments he lived in when he was a missionary and walk down quaint little streets with flower boxes in all the windows. Some tips for all you soon to be European travelers--don't forget to bring water with you because it costs a fortune to buy--more than the alcohol and don't drink too much water or you'll have to use the bathroom which costs money. You have to put coins in a slot before the door will open. If you're standing in line, stand uncomfortably close to the person in front of you or they don't think you're in line and people will cut in front of you. I don't care what kind of whacky diet you're doing, eat the chocolate.

7 comments:

Fletch said...

I still can't believe you are over in Europe. Those pictures are amazing. Can you believe you are going to live there for four years? Crazy!

By the way, Isaac is sitting next to me at the kitchen table, looking at all your pictures saying, "I miss Joe," in such a sad little voice.

We totally need to come visit. Maybe three years from now? I am going to start planning already!

Steve, Kristine, Cole, Kade said...

I love your blog and cannot wait to see the adventures that you have in Germany. We love Germany, and we are sooooo happy that you are here and that we will be able to have a ton of fun together! After you get more settled in... you will realize that this place will be a dream come true (promise!)

Andrea G. said...

MMMmmmm Swiss Chocolate. So, I remember Paul saying how Europeans all seem to use the street as thier personal bathroom... it's no wonder when they charge to use the potty! Yikes. And water costs more than alcohol?! Sorry to break it to you guys, but the bishop's not going to buy that one as an excuse :).

Andrea G. said...

PS congratulations on getting everyone's heads in the picture by the water!!

thecherries said...

I'm so envious right now that all I have to say is, 'you go ahead and eat that chocolate, honey. Eat it all gone!' *blows a kiss to Heather*
Love ya!

literaqueen said...

Hey, since you have access to that terrific chocolate, are you sending some for Christmas . . .?

shay said...

WOW! It costs to use the bathroom? I'd be in serious trouble with my Devanee! We have to get a loan just to have enough to pay for every time we went out!