Thursday, July 31, 2008

Army Culture Shock


So, when we planned to come to Germany with the army, I think I prepared myself for the German culture shock I would experience. Little did I know that I would also have culture shock from the army experience we were about to embark on. This is a pix of Garr in his army uniform that he has to wear every day. We call it his "costume" and his beret we call his "bonnet". It drives him insane to put it on all time and always worry about being saluted or saluting, which takes extra time wherever you go. The catch phrase around here is "Hurry up and wait" and that's exactly what we do in the army. Garrett still hasn't gotten a pay check yet but is hopeful of one in August. Everyone said it must be someone elses mistake in the system--not really helpful. I had to promise Garr I wouldn't make him pose for any more pictures for our blog, so enjoy this one, while you have the chance. It's like they say about doctors being the worst patients--he's a photographer and he puts up the biggest stink about having his picture taken. I just can't imagine being stuck in that gear and trying to get anything done and the wool hats are so hot and tight, I've been told by multiple sources. His army green socks go up to his knees and the boots lace up nearly to his calves. He has lots of utility pockets on his costume and we imagine all the other soldiers hiding out in foxholes trying to be as noiseless as possible and then they open one of their velcro pockets to reach for a grenade and the element of surprise is completely ruined. Those pockets are the loudest velcro around. So, I decided that I need to come to grips with my culture shock and stop being in denial that this is really my life so I'll add it to my blog because if it's blogged then it's got to be official, right?

7 comments:

Fletch said...

It's a shame the army hasn't caught on to the notion of scrubs: comfy, quiet (no velcro), and somehow professional looking.

Poor Garrett. We'll pray that you will all be able to adjust to your new army life and that in no time it will all be old hat.

literaqueen said...

Maybe the scrubs could be in camofluauge (how do you spell that word, anyway?) print. I don't think I'd like going to a dentist wearing an army uniform. That hat might fall off his head into my face or something.

Adam said...

My little Gare-Bear looks as handsome as ever...nice to know some things never change. I'm sure the culture shock is very real - but its only that - I can't ehlp but think that eventually you'll feel at home in your little European nook as you did in good ol' Iowa. Hang in there - you are loved...

shay said...

He looks so good! I love the costume! Tell him to smile though, I miss that Garrett smile!

Andrea G. said...

Cute costume, Garrett! Happy Halloween... uh 365 days a year?! Funny image with the velcro sinario :)

thecherries said...

I'm thinking of an old Chevy Chase movie right now, care to guess which one? LOVE the attire Garrett...does it come with a walkie talkie?

D Wood said...

You're killing Shanna with all of your international travel. However, she's had her own experience with men swimming on a hike outside of Escalante, Ut, and they had a lot less on than a wallet and a wad of money. Your dialogue with your pictures are so funny and entertaining---keep up your great work, it's much appreciated!