Friday, February 6, 2009

Our Favorite Pix from Prague

Clearly when we travel, different things hold the interest of our children and this blog is dedicated to highlighting those differences.

While Garrett and I were in awe over this absolutely amazing clock tower in Wenceslas square in Prague, our boys found this more interesting.......a Stretch Hummer, of course! (pix by Jacob)



















Garrett and I loved walking across the Charles Bridge, built in the 1300's and the boys took pictures of....these swans and numberless ducks (pix by Jacob)and pigeons (pix by Mason)! I loved walking the streets of the Czech Republic and seeing all the Russian influence which reminded me that in my lifetime this country has gone from a closed Communist regime to now, when we didn't even show our passports at the borders. The weather and architecture reminded me of its dreary, ominous history. The architecture reminded my boys of...






















....the Lord of the Rings' Black Riders.





















Finally something we can all agree on...TGIFridays! We saw so many American chains in Prague--KFC, Little Caesar's Pizza, you name it. The food was excellent, but the service needed help--our waiter tried to rack up an 1800 Euro bill on our credit card! Luckily the credit card company caught it. I guess you have to expect something like that from a country that makes words without any vowels. We all made good memories of Prague, even if the memories are different for all of us--the boys put pillows in their shirts at the hotel and did a little WWF. Jacob loved teasing me about the elevator plummeting us to our death, because it looked pre-Stalin era, truly an antique in the worst sense of the word. And of course, a super-duper highlight--Mason lost a tooth in Prague--and the tooth fairy paid him in Crowns (KC). Now I have to fess up that some of the really great pictures on this blog were taken by my boys--initially I put mine in and then they showed me the pictures that they had taken and they were much better than mine. They must belong to Garrett.

11 comments:

Kerri said...

Looks like lots of fun!

Fletch said...

Aw, we miss you guys. Mason lost a tooth and we weren't there to see it.

We'll be sure to be wary of people who use too few vowels from now on. Good to know. Thanks.

literaqueen said...

Prague is on my list of places I have to visit before I die. One of my very best friends in the world served her mission there and has such great stories about it-- well, besides the drunk scary men that were stalking her.

Now you need to visit a country where there are too many vowels that aren't pronounced-- time to go to France! And when you go, you need an interpreter. Hmm, I know someone who's available . . .

shay said...

It's so beautiful! I love the pictures! So fun!

Elise said...

It looks like you are taking advantage of your new location and seeing lots while you are there. How are you doing? Are you liking it there? Hope things are going well.

literaqueen said...

Heather! I just realized while making out Christmas letter addresses (yeah, I'm a little slow . . .) that I don't have your address in Germany. I thought it was somewhere on your blog, but you were smart with security and didn't publish it. Can you e-mail it to me, please? I'm at shelob1@verizon.net. Thanks!

angie said...

What a fun time! Steve went to Prague when he was there last Spring. He even got a ticket for going down a street he wasn't suppose to! It looks like an amazing city. I love the history that is all over in the cities in Europe! You have some great photographers in the family :) It is fun to see your adventures.

Katie T. said...

miss you more than ever! Lovin' the pics..where are you and Garrett?

angie said...

I tagged you on my blog :)

kendra said...

I love that the kids all have their own camera. They will love their pictures forever.

You make Europe seem so fun. Maybe? We get our list of available slots in 11 days!

Melissa: said...

I love this idea. Next time I take my kids out I want to see what captures their attention.

Amazing pictures!