Friday, September 4, 2009

First Things First--Happy B-day Mason!



Yes, I know you've all been on pins and needles for the past few months, waiting for my next blog and it's finally arrived. Mason had his birthday on July 13th, his very first one he had to be in school (German school got out on July 30th). If you think his cake looks disgusting, you're right. He wanted space legos fighting on the top and 1 chocolate, 1 ice cream and 1 strawberry layer with chocolate bars cut up on the top. I decided to add the strawberries, which actually made it taste worse. Mason made bank in the Bionicle department for his birthday. Sam gave Mason a turtle he had sewn in school and a Twix candybar (I'm so jealous--I think the turtle is adorable.) and Jacob bought him 2 lego sets--what good buddies.
Now I'm going to gush about Mason, so if you're not a grandma you can skip to the next post. When Mason was born I was so excited because I got to hold him. Sam and Jacob were immediately whisked away and I didn't get to see them again until the next day and holding them was also restricted. It was so wonderful to have a baby that I could hold and cuddle and I wasn't afraid to break. He's always been very easy going and my little social child. From the time he was a Sunbeam, he knew everyone's names in primary and would say "hi" to each person, by name, as they entered the primary room. Now in German school, he has made many friends because he's so good at reaching out to other people. When we lived in Logan his best friend was our neighbor Bob; they shared a special connection. Mason has also made good friends of our German neighbors here--Rose and Klaus, Oma and Opa. He has worked hard to learn German and does very well. Sometimes I wonder if Sam, Jacob and Mason were really supposed to be triplets because Mason is determined to do everything that his big brothers do. I decided to start my boys with piano when they turned 8, but Mason was begging to take lessons and I knew he was ready, so I started him when he was barely 7 and he is doing really well. Sometimes I forget Mason isn't as old as his twin brothers and I expect the same things from him, but he is determined he can do whatever they can. One of my favorite things about Mason is his loving heart. I can count of multiple hugs from him throughout the day and he will look up at me with his twinkley eyes and big smile and say "I love you mom. You are so beautiful". When music is playing he'll come up to me and ask me to dance in the kitchen. We make a great dance couple--Mason says we're like Hagrid and Madame Maxine, a truly stunning couple! We are so blessed to have Mason in our family. We love you Mason!

5 comments:

Denise said...

Happy Birthday Mason. I love that you chose your own cake. That's awesome.

shay said...

That's so sweet! I miss Mason! I love the Hagrid & Madame Maxim. There are far more couple that I could probably think of, but they were truly sweet to each other!

literaqueen said...

Mason's EIGHT?!? Did a time warp happen? I miss coming home and seeing him and his brothers jumping on your trampoline in the backyard. Happy Birthday, Mason!!

angie said...

Tell Mason, Happy late Birthday from Steve and I! He truly is a sweet little boy. :)

Fletch said...

We love you, too, Mason! Convince your parents to move back to Iowa after this Germany-nonsense, okay?