Thursday, June 25, 2009

Just Another Day--Banantarific!

Tonight was a slow Friday night at the Wood house. We started out with a gig that our band, "The Oneders" played.


I had to take this picture of Mason in his Hawkeye sweatshirt before it magically disappears. He's worn it nearly every day for an entire year and it shows--the cuffs are frayed, the yellow is perma-dirty, two bleached streaks run over the pocket; between that and his patched jeans and holey socks (where do all the holes come from?), he is looking like the poster child for some sort of relief organization. Look how tall he is getting. He looks alot like his Grandpa Bohman, to me. We're so excited that they are going to come visit us for Mason's baptism in less than one month! Can we fast forward up to then? This is Joe with his characteristic photo"smile". He is sporting his monkey jammies which he wears day or night. If he finds out we're going to be home for a few hours, he considers it worth his time to put on his monkey jammies or Superman jammies, complete with cape.

Jacob made dessert for us tonight, his own creation entitled "Bananta." If, by some unforeseen miracle, others out there acquire a taste for Bananta, Jacob made it first and we'll sue you for the rights. The recipe is:
6 or 7 cups of vanilla icecream
1 1/2 cups orange Fanta soda
1 chocolate bar, diced in small pieces
1 banana
*secret ingredient

blend above ingredients and eat. I haven't "acquired" a taste for bananta yet, but I don't like mushrooms either. Periodically I try mushrooms because they seem like such a fancy, distinguished food, but, alas, they taste nasty. The secret ingredient for this batch of bananta was 2 very, very old once hard but now soft with age, butterscotch candies. Jacob loves adding secret ingredients. I really have to be careful if I'm not watching when I'm cooking because Jacob will climb up into my spice cupboard and start adding whatever strikes his fancy with some disastrous results. Jacob is my experimental cook. Mason is my little chef--he loves to cook with me and does really well.

The other day I was walking Joseph to school and we saw a European Marten. It casually walked across the street and up into the forest behind our house. Joe and I both thought about Gwin in "Inkheart".









If you look closely at the picture of Sam, he is using a fork attachment on his pocketknife to eat his eggs. These days this newly acquired pocketknife with spoon and fork attachments accompanies Sam to every meal--I can't complain since he washes it everytime.
















A few nights ago Jacob got out of bed to discuss a pressing question he couldn't get off his mind: "If dad was twice the size he is now, would it be far if he threw a boulder, like Fezzik in the Princess Bride, an eighth of a football field?" Who can sleep with important thoughts like that buzzing around in your head? I think Jacob should write story problems for math books when he grows up.

Whenever we get a chance we eat outside--fancy meals, like koolaid and hot dogs.

I just re-read what I wrote. What a bunch of random thoughts, one banantarific day.


13 comments:

Shanna said...

Oh, I love the Banantarific day thoughts! Did I spell Banantarific right... Anyway when I read "European Martin" I thought immediately of Gwin too! Cool.

Michelle and Nathan said...

Your boys are getting so tall and grown up. I think they look like Dad too. It's fun to think that you get European Martin experiences--that show us you're in Germany, but that you are still enjoying secret homemade recipes, worn out favorite clothes, and rock band. Maybe we aren't so far apart after all.

literaqueen said...

I love Mason's buzz cut-- so cute!

I'm not a big banana fan, so Banantas don't sound too appetizing, but I'm all in favor of the culinary experimentation. When your kids are famous chefs, can I eat for free?

Denise said...

Bantana doesn't sound like my cup of tea-but way to go on experimenting with something new. I love random posts. Sounds like your summer is off to a great start.

Leah's fun said...

You guys are so darn cute!

shay said...

What a funny question! I would like to know myself!

wyoma said...

Heather, This is Wyoma Lund, and I'm just desparate to reach your mom. I've been trying to call her and can't reach her. Either I'm calling at the wrong times or she's already over here visiting you! Could you please e-mail me at wyomalund@yahoo.com and let me know if she's already in Germany?!? It would be a huge help to me. By the way, I love your blog! Your mom shared the site with me--hope you don't mind!

Fletch said...

Someone once told me they give all of their boys pocketknives when they turn eight and I thought that was crazy...but I think I'd consider it if it meant my utensil washing everyday could be dramatically reduced.

Leah's fun said...

update, update? What are the Woods doing?

kendra said...

I love this post. Your kids are really creative. Why is that mine only want to watch tv and fight with eachother. Why can't they have slug races and make bananta?

karen said...

where are you, oh woods?

angie said...

So,I missed it when you posted this TWO MONTHS AGO! I hope you guys have had a fun summer. I'm sure it was great to have your family over to visit. Steve was way jelous when Garrette called about Dresden! I so want to come back to Europe soon! Love hearing about your boys and their great minds and creativity! Keep posting!

Fletch said...

Heather!!! Are you still alive!?

Happy Birthday!!! Hope your 29th is a good one. And have I mentioned how GOOD you look for your age? Not many people look THAT hot when they are 29, but, whoa, do you ever!!!

Keep us updated. We all miss you.

J.