Saturday, September 5, 2009

A Short Jaunt to Switzerland
























































Garrett and I spent a few days away from the kids and work and went to, where else, Switzerland. The first picture is in Luzern--beautiful there. The Lion sculpture was carved out of the rock and reminded me of Aslan. It wouldn't be a Wood trip if we didn't spend atleast one night sleeping in the car, and we kept with tradition. The next morning we took a tram to Oeschinensee and then hiked to the top of Blümlisalp, which I have been told by expert opinion, is a dang far long. It was beautiful, complete with Swiss cows and cowbells, mountain goats, and old people atleast 30 years older than we are that left us in the dust. It looked like the geriatric hospital was having a field trip and they were all wasting us. It didn't help that I was unprepared, as usual, and had only brought 2 power bars and a package of mentos for an all day hike. By the time we reached the top our joints were killing us, but it was a gorgeous view. There was a restaurant right on the top of the mountain that is restocked by helicopter daily. We were so famished we spent about twenty dollars on 2 small cheese and pickle sandwiches and a bottle of apple juice, but it tasted delicious! The hike back down was really rough because Garrett's knees nearly gave out (his dad just had double knee surgery--something for him to look forward to in a few years), he was sunburned really badly and his allergies kicked in, full force. Little old grandmas were hiking down the mountain faster than we were. We almost hadn't bought the tram ticket round-trip, but were so grateful that we did as we hobbled towards it only 2 or 3 minutes before it shut down for the day. Hallelujah, we made it!

10 comments:

Denise said...

I would so love to take "a short jaunt to Switzerland". Sounds like you had a blast. What beautiful scenery surrounds you. Glad you are albe to take it all in.

kendra said...

beautiful! I love the scenery there. And you and Garret look pretty good too!! I'm really serious I haven't seen a picture of you for a while. You look so pretty up there in those mountains.

Awesome that your mom came. I bet you loved it.

And once again - I think you are the funnest mom ever. Mason's birthday cake and the puzzle fire just prove the point

shay said...

So fun! I love the pic of you and Garrett. What a cute couple!

literaqueen said...

This entry made me want to yodel.

angie said...

Oh man!! Looks so fun and beautiful. Love all the amazing pictures! I am as green as the grass in Switzerland!

karen said...

yay! you're back to blogging. I can't believe that a) you yodeled your way up the alps apparently, and b) snacks weren't your first, last, and middle thought for the hike. I'd be planning my menu for weeks. and c) that you guys got smoked by a bunch of old swiss grannies!

that's good stuff. So beautiful!

geoffrey said...

the last time i ran down an alp with garrett i could barely keep up! i am jealous!! great pics!

thecherries said...

I love how you make all these FABULOUS trips sound like you're JUST going to some random park. I MISS YOU!!

Fletch said...

Oh, poor Garrett's knees!

I'm with Karen. How could you not pack more food?! Though the pickle and cheese sandwhich does sound yummy.

Kasey said...

I miss Garrett.