Saturday, September 13, 2008

OUR NEW HOUSE HAS A SWIMMING POOL, DOES YOURS?


So let's not get all caught up in minor details, like our pool hasn't worked since the '70s and has no water in it. The important thing is, it's a pool and you can do lots of things in an empty pool, like pretend to do water aerobics or see how long you can lay on the bottom of the pool. We got the keys to our rental home today and did the walk through for scratches and dents with the realtor and the home owner which only took about four hours to take pictures of all the areas and mark every crooked switch plate or ding in the doors. They are thorough in Germany! Take a look at the boys' bathroom--am I seeing spots? Each of those red circles is an individual circle tile and they cover the walls and floor. The red color doesn't look nearly as bright in the pictures, but let me assure you when you leave this bathroom you see little dark spots everywhere, like you just looked at the sun. Don't be jealous--someday maybe you'll have a a retro European bathroom too.


This picture is our family room. Not much to say except there's a fireplace in the corner. This is definitely the best feature of our new place--the backyard with a grapevine arbor, patio and ourdoor built in grill and fireplace. It's really nice. We're so excited about our arbor and patio I'm sure I'll be blogging pictures of all of us in December, sitting on patio furniture eating burgers in our swimsuits, snowboots and scarves.

These pictures are of the kitchen and eating area. It has more cupboards than I've seen in most German homes and beats our house in Iowa with its 5 cupboards. Does anyone know how to convert fahrenheit to celsius? Our food may be overcooked for awhile.

16 comments:

Fletch said...

Huh. Lots of red tiles. Nice.

Your kitchen is big. Which IS nice.

And if you really need help converting celcius into farenheit...Steve grew up in Canada, ya know.

Heidi said...

So empty pools are probably really fun for skateboarding and rollerblading, right? Hope you have good insurance... =)

Rebbekah said...

very groovy! We are coming to visit for sure now that I can see how big it is! Can we please sleep in the pool?

Emily Norby said...

I shouldn't even admit this, but I'm kind of digging the red tile. And the empty swimming pool...you guys will have the best stories to tell (remember when we lived...?).

kendra said...

wow. Cameron tells me it is amazing you got a single family house and one with a swimming pool - working or not you are one lucky american-german family! I'm proud of the boys going to German school. That must be really hard. When you guys do something you go all the way!

literaqueen said...

So is the toilet actually attached to the wall? What if somebody's really heavy and it breaks off? That would be a bad thing.

Wow, that tile is red!

The kitchen says IKEA all over it to me. At least the kitchen isn't tiled like the bathroom.

Maybe you could run laps in the pool and pretend you're Michael Phelps . . .

Miss ~E said...

I love it...all of it! That house looks so fun! I dig the red tile too! Hope you all are well. I accidentally deleted my blog, here is my new one.
www.misssmartypantsandco.blspot.comog


Erin

Miss ~E said...

www.misssmartypantsandco.blogspot.com

thecherries said...

Phew. I thought it was just me seeing spots after that picture. Good to know. Honestly, a pool that hasn't worked since you were in high school? Wow. That's GOLDEN! Have you and Garrett played Marco Polo in it yet? LOVE YOU!

Steve, Kristine, Cole, Kade said...

Heather - that is awesome! I actually might be crazy... but I think that the red bathroom is so much fun! I have seen lots of green, orange and brown... but no red.. I love it! I can't wait to see it & splash around in the pool!

Kerri said...

wow-the house sounds great and how amazing that the boys are going to school (german style) Dan has fond memories of Germany...which I'm sure all your boys will have. Wish we could be there to help you all get moved in.. good luck and your muscles are probably not so scrawny if you are lifting a tramp! Strong work.

Andrea G. said...

I'm definitely impressed with the space. Whenever I see the European houses on HGTV they are really small. The yard looks awesome. You can't tell me your smarty pants hubby doesn't know the conversion for Farenheit to Celcius! So, where's the guest room reserved for us when we visit?! :)

Katie T. said...

glad to hear you have a home now! I'm sure our homelessness for two months in the summer were nothing compared to what you went through. But I know what you mean by having a feeling of permanence. Keep up the great posting, we are making a list of all the things we want to see when we come visit!

Carmell said...

My boys are SO jealous of that pool (even if you can't put water in it!). Hope you have fun settling into your new place. If anyone can make a place look good and feel like a home you can!

shay said...

Love the house!! It looks awesome! You're going to love the kitchen with more than 5 cupboards!! Let me know what you stick in each and every one!

Shanna said...

I think the house looks great! What fun stories and pictures you have to show now. I really miss you guys, and am extremely jealous of the cool places you have already been. Give ALL the boys a hug and kiss for me. Just kidding, you can just kiss Garrett for me. Hehe.