Friday, September 12, 2008

First Day of School--September 8th





The first week of school is finally over! I think we're all breathing a sigh of relief. We worried and worried that first day, but when I went to school to pick the boys up on Monday, they were in the recreation room above the lunchroom, playing legos, on the computer and fussball. Sam saw me and said "No!!!" He didn't want to go home yet. What a good sign. Jacob said that the first day they each went around his class and everyone said what their favorite sport was. Jacob said he had said soccer but everyone else had said football (football or fussball is the German word for soccer!). This picture shows the "playground" for the kids, complete with soccer goals and cement ping-pong tables in the back for recess and after school. We were so grateful for the good day they had, even when they didn't finish until 5 p.m. that when I picked Mason up from his class on Tuesday at 12:00 and he burst into tears, I was disappointed. I guess that hoping they truly had been blessed with the gift of tongues and would immediately fit in was probably a little too much to ask for in 2 days. The boys come home from school completely exhausted and don't want to wake up. On Thursday they have swimming each week at a pool right there at the school. We wondered if we needed to buy them speedos for the pool but they said about half the boys wore swim trunks. The boys bring a snack which has to be healthy for their first recess and then they have school lunch on the days they have class after noon. I asked the people in the office if they could bring a sack lunch and they all just stared at me like I was from Mars. Germans are people of routine--if that's the way it's done then you don't change. No one else brings sack lunch so they just couldn't even understand why we would do it. For atleast the first few months we'll play their game until the boys get adjusted. These pictures are also part of their playground--a pond, a pile of logs and snake and alligator balancing beams. Shopping for school supplies was exhausting. Every grade uses differently spaced lined paper, plus there are about 5 different sizes of notebooks for each grade with plastic covers you buy separately to put on each one. From first grade on they use fountain pens, which is definitely a skill, I've discovered. It's not so easy to write with those. It was so overwhelming to be at the store with a school supply list, all in German, trying to figure out what to buy. We've continued to have tears through the week, but I'm hoping that they will start to pick things up soon. One of the Laurels in our ward started German school in 4th grade and she said that by Christmas you know what's going on around you. Meanwhile, on Wednesday we got a key to the garage of the place we'll be moving into and so I've been trying to bring the junk that we've rapidly accumulated over here plus our 45 day shipment into the garage. We bought a trampoline and I used my scrawny muscles to move the heavy box from the apartment basement, into the van and then into our new garage. Tomorrow we get the keys to the house and Monday we're going to get all of our stuff. I'm so excited! It feels like we've been camping out for the past few months and I just crave some permanence and stability. We won't have a phone or internet for a week, but I'll be sure to post some more pix once we get internet again. The highlight of our week was definitely our new Star Wars t-shirts (thanks Grandma!) there aren't too many world-wide catastrophes that a Star Wars t-shirt can't solve when you're one of our boys. May the Force be with You!

8 comments:

Fletch said...

Oh my gosh, Heather! I'll never feel sorry for myself when I go school-supply shoppying again! Honestly, it wears me out just to find all those items IN ENGLISH! I can't imagine trying to find all those new and unfamiliar items when they are all written in German. AND for 4 kids! Thank heavens for the t-shirts!

literaqueen said...

Wow. Look how tall Mason is! What an overwhelming week, but it'll get better. I have a student who's lived in Germany multiple times because her dad's in the army. She went to German schools pretty much the whole time and is bilingual now. She said it was hard at first, but she loves German schools and can't wait to go back.

Give those boys hugs for me! Hang in there.

Julie said...

Heather, you are amazing! Thanks for all you do and this great place to keep up on all your fun activities. The "looks like you were from Mars" comment reminded me of the looks that were thrown about back when you announced that you WEREN'T planning to use disposable diapers once the twins were born. That statement could probably have been blamed on some kind of brain malfunction due to hormones during pregnancy! Love You and Your Guys!!

thecherries said...

The CAPE! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

MegT said...

I hope they all adjust well. Ethan just told me yesterday how much he misses his buddy Joe-fuss Wood. I am jealous of all your adventures, and hope the hard stuff gets easier.

Andrea G. said...

Awww. I miss those guys so much!! I think I would cry too. THat's a big adjustment and the language barrier has got to be really hard to deal with (although it will be awesome once they get the hang of it). Tell the boys Tess misses them and Jonas wishes he could play legos and Star Wars with them. Paul told me the other day he hopes Jonas will be really into Star Wars like your kiddos. :) Love You!

shay said...

I just want to give those boys and you a great big hug! Life will get easier!! In the meantime, just think of the memories your kids will get to tell their kids!!! Remember, We love you all!

Miss ~E said...

ok, where are you guys, I haven't seen a new post in a while! Hope all is well!