Monday, September 1, 2008

Camping and the Matterhorn




This Labor Day weekend we went camping in Switzerland. The campsites in Europe are really funny because they are super close together. We rented a tent and sleeping bags because we don't have our stuff yet. We couldn't make a fire at our campsite so we had raw s'mores, which were almost as good. Garrett boycotted the s'mores because I'd bought hershey's chocolate bars for them and he said it wasn't as good as the Swiss chocolate--he's turned into a chocolate snob. Regrettably I didn't get a picture of some of the European campsites. They bring their satellite dishes, tables, chairs and even garden gnomes to make their areas feel homier. We packed up on Saturday morning and drove to the Matterhorn where we hiked around the base. The kids were nervous we were going to make them climb up the entire Matterhorn! It was so gorgeous. I think heaven must be just like Switzerland but with all your friends and family from America!

11 comments:

HG said...

Is the Matterhorn better than Disneyland's "Matterhorn"?

Kasey said...

I am SO jealous every time I look at your blog! You guys do the coolest things. How fun to get to visit all these places. Beats Iowa, doesn't it?

We miss you!

Fletch said...

Don't worry, Heather. I won't turn into a chocolate snob. I still miss my biggest Hershey's chocolate supplier. Although...if I ever came for a visit, would you supply me with the good stuff?

Laura is reading your blog with me right now and she says "Hi" and she wants to know what your kids think of Germany. Do they like it?

Anonymous said...

Alright, I just read your whole Blog, I am so excited you have a blog! Wes and I are sooooo coming to visit someday when we are not chicken of traveling! Miss you guys!

kendra said...

Heather I LOVE it! You are slowly convincing me that Germany might not be that bad and the Air Force just made the Germany tours three years so maybe... keep working on me Cameron would be glad. I can't believe it - every weekend a diffent awesome thing to see. Did you find an apartment yet?

Melissa: said...

Heather,

I've got to say, I'm just a little jealous. How incredibly gorgeous! Every time Sam and I check your blog we determine to make a trip back there.

Your boys are adorable!
And you are a fun mom!
And Garrett is a chocolate snob - I mean, hey, if the choice is American chocolate or NO chocolate, I'll take the Hershey bar every time. ;)

It's fun to see your fam. Love the blog!

Andrea said...

I agree- I am always jealous everytime you post a new adventure!

Kerri said...

Your last two entries made me laugh out loud and I'm in the basement alone as everyone else sleeps away...I'm trying not to picture joe fitting right in with all the other children and wondering what the eariler incident was that made him lose his undies?!@#$%^ Also the italian men with too many things sticking out! You are so hillarious! We wish you were here so we could play Rock Band... we need some embarassemnt in our lives.

Steve, Kristine, Cole, Kade said...

You guys have already explored so much of Switzerland and we have been here a year and have only driven through it in on our way home from Italy twice! It looks like we have some great places to see - we'll need your advice on your favorites.

literaqueen said...

After the "easy" hike a couple of months ago, I'd be scared of Mom and Dad making me hike the Matterhorn, too.

Should I send you a garden gnome as a housewarming gift? Or a plastic deer to remind you of Iowa?

Andrea G. said...

Wow... the real Matterhorn is much more picturesque than Disneyland! Although I have to agree with Garr that European Chocolate is a million times better than Hershey's, I eat just about ANY chocolate... so it's all good. Paul and I wanted to go camping for labor day, but we didn't think it would be as much fun since Jonas would probably be up all night... I guess we'll have to wait a bit on that one!