Saturday, December 6, 2008

Medieval Christmas Market in Esslingen

The Friday after Thanksgiving we took the kids to the Medieval Christmas Market in Esslingen. Our favorite part was the fun Medieval Carnival Games. The picture below is Mouse Roulette. You put your money on the colored spot over the mouse hole that you think the mouse will go in. Whoever guesses right gets a prize. We also got to watch some medieval minstrels play on bagpipes--pretty cool, but so loud!














One of our favorite Medieval games was where they set a real egg in a carved out spot of a wooden stump that was about 10 feet away from you. They gave you some heavy metal balls and you tried to smash the egg by throwing the metal balls and hitting it. These last 2 pictures of Joe and Sam are hard to make out exactly what they're doing, but Joe chose to throw "Chinese Stars" and you try to get them to stick in the logs and Sam is throwing axes at logs and trying to get them to stick in. Mason threw stars and Jacob threw axes also. It was a boys paradise. Thank heavens OSHA hasn't seen this Christmas market--they might think it was dangerous or something to give sharp metal objects to children between the ages of 5 and 9. The guy who did the axe throwing booth was so awesome, giving the kids extra turns and making a big deal out of all their direct hits. I think he liked it that the noisy Americans cheered so loudly that they brought extra customers to his booth.


7 comments:

shay said...

That sounds like so much fun! What an awesome experience!

Kerri said...

Wow sounds like a blast...when I read your blog I wish we had chosen the air force or army or something!

kendra said...

oh man! That sounds so fun. Except, I can't believe you could even look at that little mouse in mouse roulet without thinking about the big rat in your house! At least that's what I thought about when I saw the picture!

What great experiances you guys are having. Cameron LOVED Germany at Christmas time. He wants us to go there during the holidays so bad.

I'm glad Santa surprised your kids with treats. I guess he knows that Jacob didn't really mean to look disabled and blow his nose on the flag! (I still think that is hillarious - that's the stuff they will tell their kids about!)

literaqueen said...

Hey, quick question for you: I was talking with a friend from my ward whose husband is in his third year of dental school, paid for by the Army, and they're wondering about getting stationed in Germany after he finishes. Would it be okay if they contacted you? Their names are Doug and Amber McArthur. Can you e-mail me your e-mail address? I'm at shelob1@verizon.net.

Sheila

karen said...

Heather,
Cracking up about the shoes/Santa debacle. Somehow Caroline's friend suckered her into putting her shoes on the porch for the "Germish Santa" the other night--she said "Mom, it's French, English, Germish..." so SANTA had to send their husband out at 10:00 to get candy for aforementioned shoes. Ellison wised-up at the whole Santa/shoe thing and promptly put her BOOTS out because she said the Germish Santa could get more candy in her boots.

angie said...

Heather Wood! This is Angela Hammond. We ran into Jen and Jared at my sisters ward today, and we asked them how we could get a hold of you guys. Steve has tried to email Garrette, but not sure if he has the same email accounts. Jen gave me your blog address (hopefully that's alright). It was so fun to see what your family has been up to. Your boys are getting so big! Are you loving Germany? It looks so amazing! What a great experience! I love blogging, because it is a nice way to stay in touch. Our blog is hamfam5.blogspot. So good to see you are doing well. We are definitely going to save up for a visit while you live there! I will check back often :)

Steve said...

I am happy you guys are enjoying the experience. I hope I can work out another trip to Germany this year. If not through my company, then I will try to save for the next year.

Happy New Year!

Steve H