Monday, October 13, 2008

Real Germans and Real Germany

Garrett was gone in Garmisch, Germany all week last week for a dental conference. When he came home he surprised the boys with real German hiking sticks. Now they can be real hikers. When Germans do things, they go all the way--it's all or nothing. No one here would dream of owning a motorcycle without a complete matching leather outfit, boots and helmet. When they pick apples or pears in their own yards they put on a special overcoat just for picking fruit. The other day I did step-aerobics and then decided that while I was good and sweaty I'd go out and mow the lawn in my shorts and a fleece jacket I threw on as I walked out the door. After mowing for awhile I felt someone's eyes on me. I looked up and saw my neighbor just staring at me. I waved at him and he waved, but had a troubled look on his face and just stared--I knew I had made a social faux pas, but had no idea what it was. Later I talked to another neighbor and he went on and on about what I wore to mow the lawn! Even graffiti is an all or nothing kind of thing. Look at the house below--totally graffitied. It's amazing, but some of their graffiti is actually so involved it really looks like artwork. In the same town as the graffiti masterpiece you'll find quaint centuries-old houses.






We took these house pictures today in Tubingen. It seemed a little odd that Garrett got the day off for Columbus Day, but the boys had school. It was so nice to only have Joe with us for the afternoon as we walked through the old city. We ate lunch next to a statued fountain in the center of the square and watched people at their little tables sit and talk and people watch. We felt so German. I think I've found my second favorite food, next to chocolate. We ordered Doner Kebaps, a Turkish specialty, from a little stand. Kebaps are made from lamb turned on a spit. You put them in a pita with yogurt, onions, tomatoes, cabbage and the next thing you know you've eaten the whole thing. Heavenly! Are we enticing you to come visit? Good!

7 comments:

kendra said...

yes you are enticing me to visit! It is beautiful there. Cameron talks about Donners (or however you spell it) often. I was skeptical but hearing they are next to chocolate I guess I better try one.

The rat story put me off a little, though. We had a tiny mouse in Iowa and that freaked me out enough! But seeing your "back yard" makes it worth it. That is a boys paradise. My kids would be out there every second.

Oh,so if you can't wear sweaty work out clothes when you mow your lawn what ARE you supposed to wear? high heels?

and... the picture of you and garrett in the vinyard - awesome. Your hair looks great. Really, I'm impressed becasue all the pictures I've seen of people from Cameron's mission have bad hair. I kind of thought German hair dressers wouldn't do that great of job. But your hair, like I said, I love.

How's that for a novel?! Miss ya.

Fletch said...

I think you should make a calendar with some of these pictures. They'd make great Christmas presents for family. I'm not kidding.

Oh, and the rat thing. That reminds me of my kids (of course, which is why they got along so well with yours). Isaac STILL tells people whenever he gets the chance, "My family has the lice bugs all over us." I mean, isn't there a market out there somewhere for kid-muzzles?

But seriously, I would be freaking out if I saw a rat. I would never be able to relax in my house. I feel for ya! I remember the Guymons said that have tons of mice because they live right by the cornfields. I guess that's the price you pay to live close to the wild.

Still, I really think you should consider the calendar idea. It is so beautiful there and you and Garrett really do it justice with a camera!

Paul said...

They had Doner Kebabs in France. I don't remember any yogurt, they would put a garlic sauce on it. But my goodness were those things amazing.

Keep talking about european food and chocolate and Andrea and I will be out there sooner rather than later.

karen said...

Heather! I stumbled upon your blog from jen fletchers and almost cried from sheer happiness. Germany? I think I can speak for most of America when I say: "WTH!?!" So excited for you guys, I'm living vicariously through you all living it up in the most beautiful scenery in the world. My kids and I have been poring over your blog for the past two days, and they've decided that their favorite photos are the one of the boys standing in the empty pool, the one of hiking cliffs (freaky), and the one of Mason flushing the big toilet button. OH, and the one of Garrett in his bad to the bone military uniform, looking like he'll KILL anybody who won't let them extract their teeth. Jackson still frequently talks about Sam and Jacov, (as he calls him). I suppose there will be no playdates for them for sure in the next few months. Love to catch up...
ONE MORE THING: What in the world is that paint by numbers photo thing you refer to in those gorgeous photos? Is that a color enhancer? I had to look at those photos several times just to let the beauty sink in. Unbelievable.
Miss,
karen tobler

Steve, Kristine, Cole, Kade said...

I am glad that you guys are settled in and getting out to enjoy the many beautiful things that Germany has to offer. I told you that it would take a couple of months.. but it will be worth it - I am glad you guys are here with us - it great to have someone to share these memories with.

shay said...

I'm still confused why your outfit for mowing the lawn was so offensive! I love the area, it looks so pretty!

literaqueen said...

Maybe the problem was you weren't yodeling while mowing your lawn. Try that and see what your neighbor thinks.